The Game – Progress Report #9

I love it when a plan comes together.

In my last post I mentioned that there was a problem in X/Y translations of hexagon ‘bitmaps’.

I was a little worried when in the middle of this I realised the hexagon substrate mapping and rendering method has been chosen on instinct, for efficiency. It was this packing/rendering method that was making the complication in X.Y translations. I’m not unpacking rectangular bitmaps into a regular space, but a zig/zaggy serpentine one.

If there was a good reason to opt for a different rendering method then I really wanted to know about it now so I could simply things all the way down now, before I built on-top of it. 

So my firsts step was to prove that the rendering method was better than the alternative. In the end I managed to come up with a nice little ‘proof’ (to myself) and could move on.

Seems it uses 15% less effort by the GPU and the code is simpler because it is susceptible to come cool logic tricks.

23-03-2013 12-21-25 AM

So all is now good – We have some consistent translations at least for this test case.

23-03-2013 12-03-40 AM

Compare this to what was in my previous post.

Tomorrow I will create some more tests and see if this is a complete fix.

Once this is verified, Turtle Time! 🙂


Advertisements

About metawrap

CTO Massive Interactive. Ex Computer Whiz Kid - Now Grumpy Old Guru.
This entry was posted in TheGame. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s