Had an issue with a Flash SWF inside a <FORM> element when using ExternalInterface(). Essentially flash was unable to create the callbacks and threw errors.
“Wow, seriously IE – you got beat by Opera Beta. It also failed in IE7. To make a long story short, I spent 6+ hours trying to figure out what was wrong – finally I realized the code was fine and it was a IE bug. There’s a bunch of speculation and suggested fixes on the Adobe / Macromedia Flash 8 ExternalInterface() LiveDocs page, but they’re either overly-complicated or they don’t work. So I sat down and figured it out, then I made my own fix, which I consider to be very easy :D.
The solution implements the following
window.yourMovieName = document.getElementById('yourMovieName');
This adds a window-level pointer to the movie so that it can be referenced directly using just the name.
Steve Kamerman is also the developer of Tera-WURFL – if you develop content for mobile devices you should be aware of the WURFL project . I’ve been compiling a database of phone specs for the last 7 years and I’m throwing it all away in favor of the WURFL XML database.